Supplejack Cemetery


Also Known as First Yoakum Catholic Church Cemetery

According to Sammy Tise, the Yoakum area's first Catholic Church was located about three miles east of Yoakum on the road from Austin to Indianola where it crossed Supplejack Creek. The church was founded in 1850 and was disbanded nineteen years later. A 199 acre tract for a church, school, and cemetery was deeded to the Bishop of Galveston on April 24 1854 by Mary Ann Riley May, widow of John May. Portions where later sold by the church.

Only three markers exist in the cemetery where the church was located, although at least two other people are known to be buried there. The earliest marker is for Thomas F. Moore who was born in Perry County, Missouri and died 7 July 1857.

Photographs and information about the May deed contributed by Thad A. May. Photographs were taken in October 2009. Click on marker photos for larger view.

Known Graves

Dunn, Pat
13 Jul 1840
23 May 1864
Moore, Thomas F.
9 Nov 1845
7 Jul 1857
"Born in Perry Co., Mo"
Ryan, Theresa F.
5 oct 1827
23 Jan 1867
Tucker, Isabella
No marker. Name supplied by Sammy Tise in Lavaca County, Texas Cemetery Records, Volume IV, published in 1990.
Tucker, Vincent
No marker. Source is also Sammy Tise.
Pat Dunn
Thomas F. Moore
Theresa F. Ryan

The road leading to the cemetery.