- S -
Most of the following information comes from Sammy Tise's Lavaca County Texas Cemetery Records, Volumes 1-VI. Several people have volunteered to do lookups in his cemetery surveys for you. The books are also available for purchase.
Please contact Regena if you have done a cemetery survey or have information or cemetery photos to share.
There are well over 1600 markers in this cemetery, the oldest being for J. W. Elstner who died 21 March 1884. Go out of Hallettsville on 90-A and turn left at the Vsetin Road, FM 2314. Turn left at the first road and drive about 1/2 mile. The cemetery is on the right just past the City Cemetery and before Sacred Heart Cemetery #2.
This is an extension to Sacred Heart Cemetery #1 that is located next to it. There are over 400 markers. The oldest is for Elizabeth Mary Grafe who died 7 Feb 1935.
This is a small, well-kept Catholic cemetery near Breslau of less than fifty graves. The oldest marker is for Frantiska Hanzlik, who died in April 1910. To get to St. Anthony Cemetery go west from Breslau and cross the Lavaca River. The cemetery is about three more miles down the road on the left. The Sturm Cemetery is just across the road.
St. Joseph Catholic Cemetery contains more than 2300 burials, the oldest for Josef Pavalka who died 28 Aug 1889. the cemetery is located on FM 1680 at Memorial Drive in Moulton.
There are approximately 3,000 burials in this cemetery. The oldest marker is for Tad Douglas, who died 20 Sep 1863. To get to this cemetery go south on FM 318, turn left on CR 401 (Old Church Road). The cemetery lies between CR 401 and Maple Street and is adjacent to the Oak Grove Cemetery.
This small Catholic cemetery has about fifty markers. The oldest one if for Jarolsalv Prokop Kallus, who died 23 January 1919. Go west out of Hallettsville on 90-A to FM 1891, turn right and the cemetery is on the left on FM 1891 about two miles from 90-A.
This cemetery is one of the oldest in the county with the oldest marker that of Josiah D. Blackburn who died 21 August 1849. It is located on a 44 1/2 acre tract deeded to Rev. John M. Odin by Bernard Brown in 1844. Besides the cemetery, St. Mary's Catholic Church, a rectory, a sister's residence and school were built on the property. In the early days, non-Catholics, as well as Catholics, were buried here. A stone wall once enclosed the cemetery, but was removed in 1890. The cemetery has been enlarged several times and there are now more than 900 markers in this well-kept cemetery. Go west out of Hallettsville on 90-A to FM 340 and turn right. The cemetery is on FM 340, on the right, about 3 miles from 90-A.
St. Mary's Cemetery contains a historical marker at Arthur Henry Vollentine's grave:
Go to the Victoria Diocese searchable database which includes St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery.
ARTHUR HENRY VOLLENTINE
Arthur Henry Vollentine was born in New Jersey or Virginia about 1807. He came to Texas about 1833 as a colonist of Empresario Martin de Leon and in 1834 he married Maryland native Mary Ann May. They moved to a Mexican land grant on Brushy Creek near present-day Yoakum, Texas, that Henry had acquired in 1835. From October 1835 through January 1836 Vollentine served in the Republic of Texas Army at Fort Goliad. They left their South Texas home in March 1836 during the Runaway Scrape, lived in the Nacogdoches district for several years, then returned to this area by 1840. Mary Ann died about 1841. In 1845 Vollentine married her cousin, Mariah Brown, whose grandfather Bernard Brown donated land for St. Mary's Church and cemetery in 1841. Texas granted Vollentine land on the Lavaca River near Hallettsville in 1846. They farmed and ranched on their Brushy Creek and Lavaca River properties. The Vollentine cattle brand appeared as V5. Vollentine, appointed one of Lavaca County's first county commissioners soon after its creation in 1846, was instrumental in the selection of Hallettsville as county seat in 1852. Arthur H. Vollentine, his wife Mariah, and many of his descendants are buried here.
Ss. Cyril & Methodius Catholic Cemetery contains over 3100 graves with the oldest being Peter Klein's who died in 1892. To visit the cemetery drive one mile west of the Shiner city limits on Highway 90A and turn right on CR 348. The cemetery lies on both sides of CR 348. The City Cemetery, S.P.J.S.T., and Sons of Herman Cemeteries are also in this complex.
This Mexican cemetery is fenced and well kept. There are over fifty markers with the oldest being for Marcela Lopez who died January 24, 1910. To visit the cemetery, go west on Hwy 90A, cross Hwy 95 at Shiner, then turn left on 6th Street. The cemetery will be on the right about three miles down 6th Street which turns into a gravel road..
Also known as the Meeks Cemetery
The Shiloh Cemetery is in two sections and both are fenced. The New Shiloh (or Shiloh Lutheran) Cemetery has over 110 markers with the oldest being for Friedrike Schmiedt Muller, who died on 26 February 1897.
Also known as Shiloh Methodist CemeteryThe Old Shiloh (or Shiloh Methodist) Cemetery is between the New Shiloh Cemetery and the Community Hall, but it is farther back from the road. It has 61 markers, the oldest for John Griffith, who died 23 Nov 1867.
To get to the Old Shiloh Cemetery take US 77 north about 6 miles, then go east about 4 miles on CR 214 to CR 216.
Historic Texas Cemetery
Sammy Tise referred to this cemetery as the Czech Moravian Brethren Cemetery and wrote that he also found it listed four other ways in death certificates: Vlastanec, Czech- Moravian, Moravian Brethren, and Cesco-Moravsky. There are more than 160 markers, with the oldest being for Katharina Elisabeth Koofman who died February 27, 1890. To visit the cemetery drive south from Shiner on Hwy 95, turn right on FM 966, then turn at the fourth road on the left. The cemetery and church are on the right.
Historic Texas Cemetery
There are over 2500 graves in the Shiner City Cemetery. The oldest grave is that of John Welhausen who died April 21, 1879. To visit the cemetery drive one mile west of the Shiner city limits on Highway 90A and turn right on CR 348. The cemetery lies on both sides of CR 348 just beyond Ss. Cyril & Methodius Catholic Cemetery.
The Historic Texas Cemetery marker in the cemetery says simply: "Shiner Cemetery Established 1891 Historic Texas Cemetery - 2002"
Shiner Gazette, 8 Jun 1911
The Shiner Cemetery A Brief History.
About twenty years ago, the little town of Shiner, then in its infancy, realized the fact that it was necessary to provide a resting place for loved ones passing away instead of taking them to other cemeteries for burial.
The part owned by the K. of P. lodge is next to the road has eleven graves. Further on is the O. D. H. S. part. Here is buried little Max Wolters, son of Mr. and Mrs. M.E. Wolters. Nearby is buried Edwin Otto Koehler. There are eight graves in this part of the cemetery.
In 1900, all persons interested in the cemetery were requested, through the local paper, to meet at the opera house the first Friday in June. A number of ladies came together that day and organized the Union Cemetery Association with fifty members. Mrs. Eliza Welhausen was chosen president, Mrs. Annie Habermacher vice president, Mrs. C. H. Flato treasurer and Mrs. Henrietta Welhausen secretary. The office of both vice president and secretary has changed hands several times, but there has been but one president. The first president has served so faithfully that all recognized her executive ability and would never consent to a change. Mrs. Flato has served the society almost as faithfully, she having been in the treasurer’s office all the time except one year.
Article contributed by Matt Cross
This cemetery is on the east side of the Shiner City Cemetery. Go into the cemetery complex on CR 348, take the last road to the right and follow it to the back side. It is not separated from the Shiner City Cemetery by a fence. There are over 800 markers, the oldest being that of Johann H. Thermohlen who died December 2, 1885.
The cemetery is the first cemetery on the right of CR 348 in the complex of four Shiner cemeteries. There is no fence separating it and the Catholic Cemetery just beyond it. It ends where the fence along the road makes a small jog. There are over 200 markers. The oldest grave was for Frank Welfl who died October 29, 1908.
There are only four makers in this small family cemetery, the oldest for Arabelle E. Simpson who died in 1867. Go north from Hallettsville on Hwy 77, turn right on FM 532, and turn left at Hackberry. Turn left at the T in the road, turn right at the crossroads, and go past Andrews Chapel Cemetery 1.3 miles, turn left and the cemetery is on the right about .5 miles.
Simpson, Mrs. A. B., 7 Mar 1823 - 5 Mar 1904
Simpson, Arabelle E., 1 Jul 1856 - 26 Aug 1867, P - D. B. & A. B.
Simpson, David B., 7 Dec 1817 - 19 May 1900, TKSHT WSS ??
Parker, Henry, 15 Dec 1858 - 20 Sep 1869, P- L. & N.
There are over 130 markers in this cemetery which is still in use. The oldest marker is for Robert W. Speake, who died 13 Dec 1882. From Hallettsville take FM 530 south about twenty miles. The cemetery is just past the Speaks Community Center on the left.
The Stacy School was once near this cemetery on Mrs. Rosalie Tobola's property, about a quarter of a mile out in a pasture behind her home. To get to the cemetery go west from Hallettsville on 90-A to FM 340. The cemetery is unfenced and in very bad shape with trees, underbrush, vines and weeds. Bobby Joe Davis, a Stacy descendant, visited the cemetery in 1997 and 2000 and found six grave markers. He feels that there are several other graves there that may not have ever been marked. The oldest known burial is for Keziah Stacy who died 23 February 1867.
The cemetery contains the following marked graves:
1. David Davis, 10 Aug 1822 - 31 Aug 1884, white marble stone, broken from it's base and laying flat on the ground
2. Adolph Gustav Shendel, 19 Apr 1881 - 10 Nov 1882
3. Nancy Stacy, died June 23, 1887, 76 years old, mother of J. M. Stacy
4. Josephus Stacy, 11 Jul 1851 - 16 Aug 1870, son of J. B. & N. C. Stacy
5. Still Born Infant Daughter of W. D. and Clemmie Watson, 16 Aug 1880
6. Keziah Stacy, 8 March 1776 - 23 February 1867, mother-in-law of David Davis
This is a family plot where Karl August Strauss (12 Oct 1859 - 20 Aug 1942) and his wife Ida (19 Apr 1856 - 29 Nov 1950) were buried on their farm. Take FM 2314 from Hallettsville toward Vsetin. From the church take the first road to the left. The graves are about 100 feet off the road on the left side.
In October 1899, J. J. Stroman was to be buried in the Antioch Baptist Church Cemetery located behind his home, but the Lavaca River was at flood stage. It was decided to try for the Harless Cemetery, but it was also cut off by flood waters. They elected to do the burial at the Hardy School Grounds, as described in his obituary. His grave has never been found on the school property. Information provided by Wayne J. Stroman
Supposedly there were twenty or more graves in this cemetery, but only one marker is left. For lack of a better name, Sammy Tise called it the Sturm Cemetery because the remaining marker is for Frank Sturm (1845 - 9 Feb 1905). The cemetery is not fenced and, therefore, was unprotected from cattle or machinery.
To get to the cemetery go west out of Breslau and cross the Lavaca River. The road makes a sharp right and just before it turns back to the left, the cemetery is on the right. St. Anthony's Cemetery is on the left at this same location.
Also Known as First Yoakum Catholic Church Cemetery