T - Z
Most of the following information comes from Sammy Tise's Lavaca County Texas Cemetery Records, Volumes 1-VI. Several people have volunteered to do lookups in his cemetery surveys for you. The books are also available for purchase.
Please contact Regena if you have done a cemetery survey or have information or cemetery photos to share.
This small family cemetery has only five markers. The oldest is for William Thigpen, who died 13 May 1887. To visit the cemetery go out of Hallettsville towards Shiner on 77-A. About .25 mile after the split with 90-A look for the cemetery on the left. It can be seen from the road, but it is about 50 feet off the highway in some trees. Contact Mike and Brenda Fisseler for more information about the cemetery.
List of Burials from Sammy Tise's Lavaca County, Texas Cemetery Records:
Thigpen, Lydia May, 30 Dec 1900 - 23 Apr 1908
Thigpen, Margaret Jane, 10 Sep 1838 - 11 Dec 1898
Thigpen, R. E., 2 Feb 1867 - 28 Mar 1889
Thigpen, William, 18 Dec 1800 - 13 May 1887
Smothers, W. T., 15 May 1855 - 15 Dec 1897
Located behind the Orange Grove Baptist Church in Sublime, Selma Taylor says that this cemetery dates from slave days. Regena Williamson interviewed Selma Taylor, Daisy Wilkins and LaVerne Taylor at the Orange Grove Baptist Church in July 2011. Two known burials are:
L. C. Godley, 1930, the son of Selma Taylor
Otis Wilkins Jr., died April 8, 1935, 1 year and 11 months, son of Daisy Foley and Otis Wilkins, grave unmarked.
There are parts of four markers for the Turner family in this little cemetery in northeastern Lavaca County. The only legible death date is for Nina M. Turner, who died 12 Mar 1864. From Hallettsville drive north about 8.5 miles on Hwy 77, turn right (east) on FM 532 and drive 4.1 miles, turn right on CR 217 and drive one-half mile to a gate at a red barn at the second curve in the road. The cemetery is on private property owned by Josephine Fowlkes Moore. It is .3 mile through a pasture to 5 small trees and an old abandoned pickup truck.
Historic Texas Cemetery
There are over forty markers at this cemetery in the Velehrad community just behind the Velehrad SPJST lodge hall. Originally known as the Velehrad Cemetery, it was maintained by SPJST Lodge No. 19 for many years. In 2004, the Velehrad Cemetery became part of the SPJST District VI Cemetery Organization. Its name was then changed to the SPJST Velehrad Cemetery.
To visit the cemetery go north from Hallettsville on FM 957, turn left on CR 247 at Moravia, then right on CR 248. At the T turn left on CR 252 (County Line Road) and go about a half mile to the Velehrad SPJST hall on the left.
From the Historic Texas Cemetery marker:
SPJST VELEHRAD CEMETERY
Residents of the Velehrad community, who were mostly immigrants from Moravia, created this cemetery to serve their burial needs. Filip Bucek, a Czech resident of the community, envisioned the idea of creating a national cemetery, but he passed away in 1877 before the burial ground was established. Family tradition says Filip was buried in Praha and later reinterred here. The earliest known burial in this cemetery is that of his wife, Johana Bucek, in 1878. Among those buried here are founders and members of the SPJST (Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas), a Czech fraternal benefit society established in 1897. Ferdinand Breska, the first vice president of the SPJST, is buried here. The local SPJST lodge was located near the burial ground, and members conducted funeral services for many of those buried in Velehrad Cemetery. The decline of the cemetery coincided with the end of World War II, when many Velehrad residents moved away from the community. The cemetery stands as a reminder of the Czech Moravian community established here more than 100 years ago. The SPJST continues to care for the graveyard. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2005
The cemetery is located west of Old Moulton off a side road from FM 1680 on land owned by brothers, Frankie and Adolph Filipp. The Walker and Old Moulton Cemeteries are several miles apart. There were five markers in a 1969 survey, the oldest being for Thomas Walker who died 28 May 1878 and Mary Willson who died 5 Jun 1878.
There are four or five members of the Walton family buried here with stones for markers. No names or dates are given, except one stone does have "Walton" on it. Take Hwy 77 six miles south of Hallettsville. Pass over the Rocky Creek bridge and turn left (east) on CR 458. Drive one mile to the old Burl Judd property now owned by Victor Reckaway of Albuquerque, NM.
Historic Texas Cemetery
(paired with New Poor Farm Cemetery across the road)
This large cemetery is fenced and well kept. There are about 300 markers, the oldest is for Victoria Cunningham who died on April 13, 1901. To get to the cemetery go south out of Hallettsville on Main Street, cross the Lavaca River and the cemetery will be on the right about one-half mile.
There are over 220 markers in the well-kept and fenced Witting Cemetery. The oldest is for Hugo Wilhelm Pundt, who died 12 September 1882. The cemetery is behind the Evangelical Lutheran Church at Witting.
This large old African-American cemetery has about one hundred markers. It is fenced and has a wide assortment of markers, including home-made and false crypts. The oldest marker is for William Butler, who died in 1878. To visit the cemetery from Hallettsville go south on Hwy 77A toward Yoakum, but turn right on FM 531. Several miles past Sweet Home turn left on CR 384. The cemetery is at the intersection of CR 384 and CR 383.
At one time the cemetery consisted of about nine acres and had several graves. All but two of the known graves were moved and the cemetery became grown over. The older is for John R. Hinds who died March 31, 1900. To visit the cemetery go east from Yoakum on Hwy 111, turn left on the first gravel road. The cemetery is about .2 mile on the right, but can not be seen from the road due to the brush.